Wisconsin Legal Requirements
The state of Wisconsin requires you to have a marriage license before you get married.
If you are a state of Wisconsin resident you get your license in the county in which one of you has lived for the last 30 days. Please check with your county as they all have different time requirements and waiting periods for license.
INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS NEEDED:
1. Both applicants must provide a certified copy of their birth certificate. The birth certificate cannot have pictures of footprints on them or pictures of the hospital, as these are hospital certificates not birth certificates. If the birth certificate is in any language other than English it must be translated and certified.
2. Both applicants must provide photo identification. Examples would be a driver's license or passport.
3. Both applicants must provide proof of current address of where the applicant(s) lived for the past 30 days. This can be a driver's license, ID card, bank statement, or bill with current address.
4. If either applicant was previously married, they must show how the marriage ended and what date it ended on. Examples would be certified death certificates or certified copies of divorce papers. If the previous marriage ended via divorce 6 months must have passed since the final divorce date before the applicant can remarry.
5. Both applicants must provide their Social Security numbers.
6. Applicants must provide the date the ceremony will take place and where it will take place (city, village or town name). They must also provide the name, address and phone number of the person performing the ceremony.
(All documents must be in English or translated to English.)
In Buffalo county an appointment is needed 1- 608-605-6209
If you are not a Wisconsin resident (neither of you have lived in Wisconsin) and are using our venue for your wedding ceremony you must apply in person at the Buffalo County Courthouse. They do not accept walk- ins please make an appointment!
County Clerk's Office
407 S. 2nd St.
P.O. Box 58
Alma, WI 54610
Please keep in mind your license is only good for 30 days and there is a 5 day waiting period before the license can be issued. The license will can be picked up or mailed to you on the 6th day.
The marriage license fee is $75.00. If you need to reprint the license after the time of your appointment for any reason there is a reprint fee of $5.00. There are no refunds and we cannot accept out-of-state checks. Payments can be made by cash, local check, or credit card (there is an additional fee to use a credit card).
MINIMUM AGE TO MARRY
No one under the age of 16 can get married in Wisconsin regardless of the circumstances. An applicant between the ages of 16 and 18 must obtain the consent of his/her parents or legal guardians. Legal guardians must be present at the time of the application and must provide proof of custody.
More detailed information can be found at: